Wash Rice and Moong daal thoroughly. Dry roast moong daal for about 4 minutes. Let it not get burnt.
On medium heat, in a pressure cooker add the rice, roasted moong daal and cumin seeds. Add 4.5 cups of water.
Pressure cook for 5 whistles. After the pressure is released, immediately mash the rice and daal with back of a ladle.
On medium heat, in a large pan, add 2 tbsp ghee. Once hot add peppercorns, green chillies, ginger and cashews. As the color of cashews begin to change, add asafoetida, ground pepper-cumin powder and curry leaves.
Add the mashed rice and daal mixture. Add salt, cilantro and remaining ghee. Mix well and remove from heat.
Ingredients for Ven Pongal:
3-4 tbsp ghee
4.5 cups water
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/3 cup moong daal
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 tsp asafoetida
Salt – to taste
1/4 tsp peppercorns
3 green chillies
Few strings of curry leaves
1 tsp of ground pepper-cumin powder
2 1″ ginger piece(roughly chopped)
Method for Ven Pongal Arancini:
Remove the pan from the heat and spread the rice daal mixture on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper to allow it to cool. Once it has cooled, roll portions of the mixture in your hands to form balls of about 4 ounces, and stuff each one with a piece of mozzarella and coconut, sealing any holes.
Place the flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Coat one ball first with the flour, then with the egg, and finally with the breadcrumbs, then place it back on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat this process until all the risotto balls have been
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 cup of oil until it is almost smoking. Cook the arancini in the oil until they become golden brown all over. Remove each rice ball to a plate lined withpaper towels to drain.
Add carrots, cardamom powder and saffron to milk and bring to a boil. Cook on slow flame, stirring occasionally till milk dries up and the raw smell of the carrot disappears.
Add ghee, nuts, raisins and the paneer cook for another 10 min. Add condensed milk and sugar. Cook on a slow flame till dry (about 25 to 30 min) stirring occasionally.
Ingredients For Gajar Halwa:
5 cups milk
2 oz raisins
1-2 tbsp sugar
½ cup grated paneer
2 oz cashew chopped
2 oz chopped almonds
2 oz pistachio, chopped
1 tin condensed milk
1¾ lbs carrots, grated (preferably red)
3-4 pods cardamom, powdered
4 tbsp ghee, clarified butter
Method Swiss Roll Sponge cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line the base of a 10 by 15 inch Swiss roll or jelly roll pan with greaseproof or parchment paper. Brush the base and sides of the pan with melted butter, and dust with flour.
3. Whisk the eggs, and sugar together, until light and fluffy, and then add the water, and vanilla extract.
4. Sift in the flour with cardamom powder, about a third at a time, and using a large metal spoon, fold it into the egg mixture.
5. Pour the mixture gently into the prepared pan, and bake in the oven until the center of the cake is slightly springy and the edges have shrunk a little from the sides of the tin, about 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Spread out a piece of parchment paper (slightly larger than the tin size) on a work surface and sprinkle evenly with caster sugar (this stops the roll from sticking to the paper). Turn or invert the pan onto the sugared parchment paper, and then carefully remove the tin and parchment paper from the bottom of the cake.
7. Place a slightly damp, clean tea or kitchen towel over the cake while it cools- this will prevent it from drying out and cracking when you roll it.
8. When the cake is cool, spread gajar halwa over the cake, leaving a 1-inch border. Repeat with the whipped cream. With the longest side facing you, roll up the Swiss roll away from you, then transfer to a plate to serve. Sprinkle the cake with caster sugar or dust with icing sugar to finish.
Ingredients Sponge Cake for Swiss Roll:
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
4 1/2 ounces caster sugar (superfine)
plus 3 tablespoons for sprinkling or use icing sugar (confectioners'), for dusting